Tuesday 1 December 2015

Focus Group

On Monday 30th I gathered a focus group for a methodology presentation and a screening of my finished production- I then gave the participants an questionnaire to fill out; therefore I could organise my feedback from the group into categories. I tried to make my focus group vary in ages and sexes, to ensure that my feedback wasn't basis.
I make two focus groups, both consists of the same methodology presentation (see below) and the same questionnaire to be filled out after the screening. In one of the focus groups it was just school friends, teachers and class-workers to get professional opinions from teachers- such as media teachers. The other a home focus group, with only family as it's easier for me to present my project and research findings. I made sure to use people i believed would give me honest feedback and not feedback I wanted to hear,

My Methodology presentation:
My methodology presentation included different aspects such as, filming and editing processes and planning stages. The point of my presentation was to show the audience of my focus group, how I got to my final outcome. I also adding a slide explaining the drawbacks of my production and how i over came them. This this shown below:

The Feedback:
After asking everyone in the focus group and that watched my production of my film opening to answer a question i gathered up my information making an average overall conclusion answers which I will use to structure the feedback and use to improve my production further. 20 different people completed my questionnaire.
First Question:
My first question asks my demographic how they felt during/ after the production was shown. On an average my focus group said that they fill scared or confused, this is a good and the response I was looking for as I want my production to create enigma and to fear the demographic conforming the genre of the production.
Second Question: 
The second question asked for on good thing my audience (focus group) thought about my production and why. I asked this so when I were to improve my project I wouldn't downgrade it by changing something that worked will, loosing audiences and buying for my production. After analysing  my results (of feedback) people liked the quality of the shots used in the production, my second best answer was the music.
Third Question:
Question number three I asked, what they thought was bad/ needed improvement and why. I thought this was a valuable question as not only is it important to hear the good things, it is also just as much- if not more- important to hear what you need to improve on. My feedback suggested adding in diegetic soundtracks such as screaming, to the production. By working on this and improving shows that i'm eager to improve the quality.
Fourth Question:
For my fourth question I asked, 'What genre do you think this production is?' On an average 4/20 people that answered my questionnaire said that they thought the production was a horror, however the remaining 80% believe it is a thriller. This was one of the drawbacks or worries I had in the making and planning of the project as I feared that people would confuse horror and thrillers together, therefore I ensured to make the genre clear. Looking at my results i believe that I succeeded this.
Fifth Question: 
My final and last question, I wanted to know if my focus group thought the music fit the opening title sequence. 100% of my feedback said, 'yes' this comforts me has it means that it is successfully connoting how i expected and wanted it to allowing me to leave it, not needing to improve on this aspect.
Comments: 
At the bottom of the questionnaire I left a section for the focus group to leave any comments, or advice that they wanted, if they wasn't able to express it in a question answer. I allows a more of a discussion about my production rather than a one-way system- giving them the freedom to add their ideas into my project, helping me improve or simply just sharing their opinion freely.
 

Above is an image of all the questionnaires that were completed by both my focus groups, there are 20 in total.

Evidence of the methodology presentation and a screening of my finished production can be seen below: 




No comments:

Post a Comment